Re: [feature proposal] Headline caching via org-element-cache = up to 2.

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: [feature proposal] Headline caching via org-element-cache = up to 2.5x performance boost
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:39:39 +0800

Hi  Ihor,

Thanks for clearing up the nature of your patch-y feature request.

>> p.s. I’m marking this as a patch on the tracker, since it is one :P
>
> This is not a real patch. I just separated changes I made in
> org-element.el. Other changes include cache support across Org code and
> tests. In total it looks roughly like:

> However, I did not directly base the patch on master, but rather on
> (hopefully-to-be-merged-at-some-point org-fold branch :’/). I am not too
> interested in porting the patch onto master. At least not until I get
> feedback on parser and API changes.

Righteo, I’ll un-mark this as a patch then 🙂.

>> As someone who tangles massive literate config this sounds like it could make
>> quite a noticeable improvement. To test this, do I need to do anything more
>> than
>> just apply your patch?
>
> Applying the patch will not work. As I said, it is mostly for reference
> to show the changes to parser and API. If you want to test it, you can
> use <https://github.com/yantar92/org>. That repo includes the org-fold
> branch and the new cache implementation.

Ah, I’ve already got a few patches on Org that I’m preparing for sharing on the
ML, so this may make it a bit harder for me. I’ll let you know how I find it if
I do give it a go though.

All the best,
Timothy