Re: [patch] priorities range reversed

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [patch] priorities range reversed
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 15:44:09 +0200

Hi Joe,

Joe Corneli via "General discussions about Org-mode."
<emacs-orgmode@gnu.org> writes:

> In the case of numeric priorities [#1] [#9] and so on, there is a test
> that is reversed in org.el.

See the docstring of `org-priority-highest':

  The highest priority of TODO items.

  A character like ?A, ?B, etc., or a numeric value like 1, 2, etc.

  The default is the character ?A, which is 65 as a numeric value.

  If you set ‘org-priority-highest’ to a numeric value inferior to
  65, Org assumes you want to use digits for the priority cookie.
  If you set it to >=65, Org assumes you want to use alphabetical
  characters.

  In both cases, the value of ‘org-priority-highest’ must be
  smaller than ‘org-priority-lowest’: for example, if "A" is the
  highest priority, it is smaller than the lowest "C" priority:
  65 < 67.

Are you sure the numeric value for `org-priority-highest' is smaller
than that of `org-priority-lowest'?

For numeric priorities, [#1] is always "higher" than [#2].

If I'm not wrong and if you think we can throw a more useful error
earlier to the useful, could you provide a patch for this?

Let me know if I'm missing something, thanks,

--
 Bastien