Re: [BUG] [BUG] inconsistent behavior when reading multiple tags [9.4.6

From: No Wayman
Subject: Re: [BUG] [BUG] inconsistent behavior when reading multiple tags [9.4.6 (9.4.6-g366444 @ /home/n/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:19:56 -0400

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

Hi,

No Wayman <iarchivedmywholelife@gmail.com> writes:

* org.el (org-tags-crm-separators): Defcustom controlling which
characters are used to delimit tags in commands which utilize
`completing-read-multiple'.

Why should we allow anything else than ":" for separating tags in
commands which utilize completing-read-multiple?

I surely miss something obvious.

The patch you are viewing is outdated.
This is the latest patch on offer:

87bl4rce4j.fsf@gmail.com/2-0001-Allow-to-delimit-tags.patch">https://list.orgmode.org/87bl4rce4j.fsf@gmail.com/2-0001-Allow-to-delimit-tags.patch

It allows "," (the default for completing-read-multiple) and ":" to delimit tags when completing-read-multiple is used. The reason for allowing "," is that it's easier to type than ":". I make liberal use of tags and IMO typing a "Shift+;" between each tag is annoying and slow. The comma is also used as the default separator when completing-read-multiple is used.

If we relax a constraint, I'd rather have this hardcoded and well
documented than adding a new defvar or defcustom.

The latest patch removed the defcustom and replaced it with a defvar for the crm-separator regexp. If it would ease your mind I'd be happy to convert it to a defconst. It's also worth noting that the constraint was only recently introduced. "," worked fine to delimit tags in `org-set-tags-command' prior to the switch to completing-read-multiple.

Regarding documentation, let me know where you'd prefer it documented.