Re: Bug: Org mode fails to compile using Emacs 24.5-r10 [9.4.5 (9.4.5-g3

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Bug: Org mode fails to compile using Emacs 24.5-r10 [9.4.5 (9.4.5-g3ea248 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 09:34:45 +1000

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I do think it is probably time to drop support for Emacs 24 in the next
>> major release. However, we cannot drop it 'mid release'.
>
> I've added a section called "Compatibility with Emacs versions" on
> this page: https://orgmode.org/worg/org-maintenance.html
>
> We now make it clear that latest Org stable aims at being compatible
> with Emacs current stable, and the two previous one.
>
> That is: Org 9.4.6 is compatible with 27.x, 26.x and 25.x but maybe
> not with 24.x (24.1 being 9 years old now).

Thanks Bastien. I think it is good to have a clear statement on this,
even if not everyone agrees, as it makes things explicit. I
suspect this will need to be reviewed after each release of a new Emacs
version though as the effort to maintain backwards compatibility will
depend on what has changed in Emacs. Especially given that Emacs release
cycles seem to be getting shorter.