Re: Org syntax: \[ \] as block element instead of inline object

From: Stefan Nobis
Subject: Re: Org syntax: \[ \] as block element instead of inline object
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 12:47:48 +0200

> I like Timothy's idea that \[ \] markup should behave like
> block-level element rather than inline object.

On the other hand, we will loose the ability to inline small parts of
math, that should be typeset as separate equation, like:

    ...text \[ 1+2=3 \] more text...

I'm quite undecided in this regard. Personally, in almost all cases I
try to let my equations stand out even in the source (Org or LaTeX),
so I mostly use the "\begin{equation*}...\end{equation*}" variant.

At least, Nicolas convinced me, that comparing to LaTeX does not help
much (how LaTeX treats \[...\] is independent from how we want to
structure Org documents).

BTW: In LaTeX, I like to make equations stand out even further like
this:

Some text
%
\begin{equation*}
\end{equation*}
%
more text

Is there a simple way to achieve this in Org (without using ugly
solutions like "@@latex:%@@" - something concise, at most 2-3 chars,
better only 1, but still visible in order to distinguish between
compound block belonging to a single paragraph and separate
paragraphs)?

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.