Re: [Question] A single *-language-alist in ox-latex.el?

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [Question] A single *-language-alist in ox-latex.el?
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 19:20:08 +0000

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Nobis writes:

> And, as far as I remember, babel development had nearly ceased during
> that period.
>
> Since quite some years, the development has gained much more traction
> for babel and, as far as I read, babel is today as good or superior to
> polyglossia in many regards (but polyglossia is also in quite a good
> shape today). See for example:
>
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/482396/decide-between-polyglossia-and-babel-for-lualatex-in-2019
>
> In short: Babel is a very good choice in almost all cases, maybe
> except for right-to-left texts set with XeLaTeX.

Indeed, Javier Bezos (who is also the author of very popular packages
like enumitem or titlesec/titletoc) is doing a great job with Babel (you can
see the latest news here: https://latex3.github.io/babel/). And he has
added a lot of powerful features, such as babel replacements (with Lua code)
or the possibility to load languages via ini files and define new
languages with \babelprovide

I've been doing some testing, and I think this hypothetical new
unified list could support two types of members:

1. A member with 2 elements:

("lang-id" "lang-name"),

i.e.: ("it" "italian")

2. A member with 4 elements (for variants):

("lang-id" "babel-lang-name" "polyglossia-lang-name" "polyglossia-variant")

i.e.: ("la-classic" "classiclatin" "latin" "classic")

And then it would be necessary to make some minor modifications in
org-latex-guess-polyglossia-language and org-latex-guess-babel-language.

I will try to write a patch (or at least a proof of concept) in the next days

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

Juan Manuel Macías

https://juanmanuelmacias.com/