Re: Inequalities in math blocks

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: Inequalities in math blocks
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 15:58:28 +0800

Hi  Rudolf,

>> You’re going to be much better off if you just use LaTeX math delimiters,
>> i.e.
>> `...’.
>
> Interesting. It works, but I do not understand why! Do we consider
> inequalities
> in $$ breaking HTML export expected behavior? Or, do we consider it a bug? I
> suppose there exists no formal specification, executable or not, to answer the
> question?

Just considering the general situation, $ is hard for Org because it needs to do
“double duty” as both a currency symbol in text, and math delimiters. This means
that it can’t be consistent with how LaTeX works. However, `\( ... \)' doesn’t
and
so Org can be much more consistent with LaTeX here. Besides which `$ ... $' is a
TeX-ism and `\( ... \)' is the /proper/ way of doing inline maths in LaTeX, so
really you should be reaching for those anyway.

> I ask because if … breaks basic mathematics, I should either return
> back to LaTeX for any serious notes or replace every … with … in all my
> Org files to avoid accidental breakage of mathematics in the future. Thank
> you!

I’d just use `\( ... \)' in future, and that way you’ll be fine in LaTeX and Org
🙂. You might be able to use `org-element-map' to robustly convert from $ … $=

All the best,
Timothy