Re: Citation in footnote not expanded/exported to LaTeX (using Org-ref-c

From: Elias Bounatirou
Subject: Re: Citation in footnote not expanded/exported to LaTeX (using Org-ref-cite)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 23:08:27 +0200

Many thanks to Nicolas and Bruce for their mails and their help.
However, it appears Nicolas' MWE unfortunately does not  reproduce the issue. It's not the footnote that is omitted/ not exported, it's the citation in the footnote that is left out (when the footnote follows two or more citations, of which one has a suffix). In Nicolas' MWE, there is no citation in the footnote. What seems to me (being no export on LaTeX) strange about Bruce's LaTeX output is that there is no command \footnote{...} or the like. So is the footnote-part of the LaTeX output real LaTeX? (Sorry for this naïve question.)

I've tested again.
With verbose I get the same erroneous result: the citation in the footnote is not rendered (using the development version of org-mode, see below):
INPUT:

#+LANGUAGE: en
#+latex_header:\usepackage{minted}
#+bibliography_style: plain
#+cite_export: biblatex verbose
# Bibliography (bib file) specified within org-ref-cite in the init file

Body text [cite: @ravlic2021; @saric2010 with a SUFFIX][fn:1]
\printbibliography

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(org-version)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 9.5

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(emacs-version)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
:  of 2021-06-04

* Footnotes

[fn:1]Test [cite: @senker1987]

LaTeX OUTPUT (shortened):

Body text \autocites{ravlic2021}[][with a SUFFIX]{saric2010}\footnote{Test}

\printbibliography

As a work around I insert a zero width space before footnotes in the context described.

Am Mo., 4. Okt. 2021 um 16:26 Uhr schrieb Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com>:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 10:11 AM Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 6:23 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Elias Bounatirou <elias.bounatirou@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Just to clarify the BUG:
> > > Citations in a footnote in the following environment are not exported to
> > > LaTeX: when the footnote follows two or more citations, of which one has a
> > > suffix, i.e. for instance in
> > >
> > > Body text with a citation: [cite:@low2001; @mcneill2011 with a
> > > suffix][fn:3].
> >
> > I cannot reproduce the problem. With the following document:
> >
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > #+bibliography: foo.bibtex
> > #+cite_export: biblatex authoryear
>
> Can you try with a note-based style like verbose?

Now I'm not sure.

Input:

----
#+language: en
#+bibliography: test.bib
#+cite_export: biblatex verbose

Body text with a citation: [cite:@low2001; @mcneill2011; with a suffix][fn:1].

#+print_bibliography:

* Footnotes

[fn:1] Third commentary, and then a citation: [cite:@low2001].
---

LaTeX output:

---
Body text with a citation: \autocites(with a
suffix){low2001}[][]{mcneill2011}\relax[1].

\printbibliography

Footnotes
─────────

[1] Third commentary, and then a citation: \autocite{low2001}.
---

But the PDF leaves off the last citation, in the footnote.

Bruce