[tip] Go to the org node from the attached directory

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: [tip] Go to the org node from the attached directory
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 14:57:18 +0000

Hi,

I often come across the following use case:

helm-locate leads me to a file named (for example) document.pdf, which
is in an attached folder of an Org node. I open the document and then I
would like to jump from there to the Org node. I don't know if anyone
has found any solutions for this or if there is any specific package. I
have come up with this poor man's solution: add a local variable to the
attached directory, which should contain the org node ID.

The function that adds the variable after I run org-attach:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun my-org-attach/add-dir-variable (&rest _ignore)
    (let* ((dir (org-attach-dir))
           (id (org-id-get-create))
           (default-directory dir))
      (unless (file-exists-p (concat dir "/" ".dir-locals.el"))
        (save-window-excursion
          (add-dir-local-variable nil 'node-id id)
          (save-buffer)
          (read (current-buffer))
          (kill-buffer)))))
#+end_src

and then:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (advice-add 'org-attach :after  #'my-org-attach/add-dir-variable)
#+end_src

and the function to jump from the attached folder to the org node:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun my-org-attach/goto-node ()
    (interactive)
    (org-id-goto node-id))
#+end_src

(of course this only works if there is only one attached directory per
node).

Best regards,

Juan Manuel