Re: Inequalities in math blocks

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: Inequalities in math blocks
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 21:48:21 +0200

> If you submitted HTML file, you might suggest to open sources to make it
> obvious that the mistake was not intentional.

One day! The university system switches to a read-only mode at the end of every
week, and I cannot open-source anything for two years after the submission. I
ended up posting an "errata" comment.

> […] "idf" typed in straight font instead of italics and to avoid additional
> space between characters.

Yes, the three letters denote a function name, not a product of three
variables. I simplified the snippet for the mailing list. In reality, I typed
$\mathrm{idf}(t)>c$, as one should. Thank you for caring!

> It is matter of taste, but "{}" after "\in" looks a bit strange for me.
> "$t\in q$ is even shorter, "$t \in q$", having the same length, is more
> readable from my point of view.

Ha-ha! Yeah, I avoid spaces because they make me think for much too long about
where to put them. Knuth would write $t\in q$, like you said, but that looks
"unbalanced" to me. Of course, $t \in q$ looks best, but that sends me to back
to the "whitespace paralysis" mode. Help wanted.

Rudy
--
"'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it
were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'" -- Lewis

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com>
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia