Re: MathJax extension does not work

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: MathJax extension does not work
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 21:39:19 +0200

Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com> writes:

> […] the mathtools.js library was introduced in mathjax 3.2 but org provided
> version 2.7 […]
> You can just change the "path" in 'org-html-mathjax-options'.

I see. I tried the following and it worked:

(with-eval-after-load 'ox-html
  (add-to-list 'org-html-mathjax-options
               '(path
"https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/mathjax@3/es5/tex-mml-chtml.js";)))

> Secondly, mathtools is not autoloaded so you need to call it; for
> example you can put it in org using "export" block.
>
> #+begin_src HTML

The "export" blocks did not work for me, but the following did:

(setq-default org-html-head "
  <script>
  window.MathJax = {
    loader: {load: ['[tex]/mathtools']},
    tex: {packages: {'[+]': ['mathtools']}}
  };
  </script>")

> After that it worked.
> Not sure why the "#+HTML_MATHJAX: mathtools.js" doesn't do anything.

All the above makes using MathJax extensions impractical. I would have to
include HTML hacks in my Org documents or tie the documents to my Emacs
configuration, if I understand everything. Neither sounds right, and thus I
will avoid using "modern" MathJax until Org switches to it and HTML_MATHJAX
actually works.

P.S. I wonder why Org uses MathJax 2.x when other popular tools, such as
Pandoc, use the latest one.

Thank you for your help!

Rudy

--
"'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it
were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'" -- Lewis

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com>
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia