Re: Expanding how the new cite syntax is used to include cross-reference

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: Expanding how the new cite syntax is used to include cross-references - thoughts?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 20:08:31 -0400

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 7:28 PM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I am not sure it really fits the model of the exporters that are in org,
> since it is basically just a pre-processing hook.

[snip]

> It also is (IMO) a part of org-ref since it uses the links that are defined
> in org-ref. I see it as more an extension of org-mode than something that
> needs to be in the core. For simple cross-references the built in internal
> links are adequate I think.
>
> Anyway, it should be tested for a while to see if it is the right way to do
> this. Maybe there are better ideas for it.

Probably does take more testing and thought, but I guess I was
thinking of something like an org-crossref-insert interactive
function, that could make use of functions like
org-ref-refproc-referenceables, to provide better out-of-box support
for at least inserting cross-references.

Perhaps like org-cite-insert, that could be configurable, so one could
plug in a different such functions.

I was toying with an idea like this earlier:

https://gist.github.com/bdarcus/1cebcff17fca762a363f89138214848d

Bruce