Re: How to keep getting org updates

From: Galaxy Being
Subject: Re: How to keep getting org updates
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 10:13:14 -0500

Appreciate the help and encouragement. This pinning business ... seems like musical chairs with different suggestions here and there. Should I use this suggestion, or maybe this one, or...? And where is the maintained list of packages? I see .../elpa/archives/ but don't see anything else. Sorry to be a help vampire, but I've never gotten past "casual Emacs user" status and don't think I ever will with my hectic schedule.

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 4:55 AM Greg Minshall <minshall@umich.edu> wrote:
> The install instructions on the main org page were not very clear, to
> say the least.

yes, that does sound messy.  sorry your experience was so unfortunate.

i guess one question for the list: is there a general solution to the
"20200912" > "9.5" issue?  or, "now" that we are only distributing via
[git repository and] gnu elpa, will that issue disappear?  does this
new-fangled concept of "semantic versioning" come into play here?

possibly in the info pages we could have a section on
"re-installing/upgrading", to help people navigate this process.  (once
we, ourselves, have a map.)

cheers, Greg

--

Lawrence Bottorff