Re: org-table-blank-field key binding removal

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: org-table-blank-field key binding removal
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:24:44 +1100

> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> Michael Brand writes:
>>
>>> The change is not announced in ORG-NEWS. I think it should be in Version
>>> 9.4.
>>
>> Right, I agree this change should have come with a NEWS entry, though
>> 0c4e844c8 (Remove default binding for org-table-blank-field, 2021-04-28)
>> is from the 9.5 release not 9.4.
>>
>> However, 9.5 is out, and my understanding is that released NEWS sections
>> should not be substantially modified in most cases
>> (<https://list.orgmode.org/87o8ez4sch.fsf@bzg.fr>).  I'll leave it to
>> the author of the original change and Bastien to decide if they want to
>> make an exception in this case.
>
> I also agree it should have had a NEWS entry (something I never
> remember), but don't have much of an opinion on whether that entry gets
> added after the fact or not!

I agree an entry should have been added in the 9.5 news file. However,
I'm not sure it is a good idea to add one now given that 9.5 has been
released.

The problem with adding one now is that it means 9.5 will have 2
different news files. This could cause confusion as some people will
have a news file which includes the details and some will not. If people
are willing to accept that possible bit of confusion, I would add the
entry, otherwise, leave it and add it to the 9.6 news file (so that at
least the change was documented/tracked, albeit after the fact.