"begin_src R :session" opens R session when file first visited

From: William Denton
Subject: "begin_src R :session" opens R session when file first visited
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 13:41:15 -0400 (EDT)

A question for R users:

I run Org from the source tree, and recently (a couple of weeks ago or so) something new started happening with my Org files with R source blocks: when I open one up, an R session automatically starts, without me doing anything.

For example:

    #+BEGIN_SRC R :session foo
    1
    #+END_SRC

If I have that in a file, restart Emacs and visit the file, an unnamed R session begins right away (without a C-c C-c). I changed "R" to "python" and restarted, and all was normal (i.e., nothing happened) but when I edited it to say "R" again, the session began as soon as I put the letter in!

I haven't changed anything in my configuration related to Org or R, and I can't see why this is happening. Looking at recent commits I saw all the R async work, and changes made to session-related code, but I can't tell if there's any connection.

Are any other R users seeing this? I admit I haven't done a full investigation, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Bill

--
William Denton