Re: nbsp as blank

From: Mike Gauland
Subject: Re: nbsp as blank
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 13:10:23 +1300

On 20/10/21 12:54 pm, Alexandre Garreau wrote:
Hello,

nbsp (non-breaking space, #xA0) is not recognized as blank in org-mode,
such that “*text* :” (it’s a nbsp here) doesn’t recognize as emphasized…

I recall a variable containing such characters but can’t find it again,
does anyone know? the manual seems large and that looks non-obvious to find
quickly…

I've been using "INVISIBLE SEPARATOR", and invoke:

  (modify-syntax-entry ?⁣ " ")

(there's a invisible separator after the "?"), which tells emacs to consider that character to be whitespace.

I know there is a (possibly more than one) variable defining regular what can appear immediately before and after emphasis and other markers, but I've never puzzled out how to get them to include invisible characters.

I generally use this technique for combining markup, or making a marked-up name plural (e.g., ~object name~s).