Re: org-persist

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-persist
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 20:44:08 +0800

Colin Baxter 😺 <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> Ok, thanks - that works - I used ~/.emacs.d/org-persist/. It might be
> worth mentioning that the user should not create the
> org-persist-directory himself. I did this originally (mkdir
> ~/.emacs.d/org-persist <RET>, touch ~/.emacs.d/org-persist/index <RET>)
> and got various parsing error messages. Everything worked fine after I
> deleted my own handiwork and left the directory creation to org-persist.

Thanks for reporting! I did not consider corrupted index file. Fixed now.

> I had originally set org-element-use-cache to nil because I remember
> reading somewhere that the nil setting would help prevent emacs from
> hanging in org-mode.

The cache code has been refactored. I tried my best to fix all the bugs
causing the hangs and I am not seeing hangs anymore. That's why I took a
risk to enable cache by default on main.

> I'll certainly begin using org-persist and see what happens.

Thanks! The new cache makes agenda/sparse tree searches at least several
times faster (I even got >10x on some agendas). But we need more testing.

Best,
Ihor