Re: org-ref 2 vs org-ref 3

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: org-ref 2 vs org-ref 3
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 08:48:00 -0400

All the breaking changes are documented at https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/#breaking-changes-in-version-3.

You can find configuration details at https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/#configuration.

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 2:59 AM Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph@vidal-rosset.net> wrote:

Dear John,

I upgraded org-ref to get org-ref 3 and I met the following difficulties:

- my shortcut to get the list of my bib file did not work, and I have to
use the emacs menu,

If you mean keyboard shortcuts (like C-c ]), you should define these in your init files as described in the configuration above. org-ref does not do this automatically anymore.

- I did not get  via org-ref  a pdf file of any paper,

I can't help you on this with so little information. is there some error?

- cite links with the page(s) via "description" show only the page but
the reference is hidden,

I consider the syntax of pre/postnote in the description to be deprecated (but still supported). I pushed a fix to show the full links with a description for the version 2 syntax. The preferred way to do pre/post notes now is like:

version 3 syntax (keys are prefixed by &, and prenote is before the key, postnote is after the key.

[[cite:&xiao-2006-size-effec 45]]

[[cite:see &xiao-2006-size-effec 45]]

These export to:

\cite[45]{xiao-2006-size-effec}

\cite[see][45]{xiao-2006-size-effec}

version 2 syntax still works, (the two key differences are there is no & prefixing the citation key, and the pre/post note is in the description.

These citations

[[cite:xiao-2006-size-effec][45]]

[[cite:xiao-2006-size-effec][see::45]]

export to:

version 2 syntax

\cite[45]{xiao-2006-size-effec}

\cite[see][45]{xiao-2006-size-effec}

at the moment, I downgraded to org-ref 2 and everything works fine.

I imagine that all is in the documentation you wrote to solve these
problems, but I wanted to point out them, in order to solve them easily
and to contribute to the improvement of this terrific tool you gave to
us. I do not imagine now writing without org-ref.

Thanks !

Jo.