Re: Keyword completion list: uppercase or lowercase? (was: Shower though

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Keyword completion list: uppercase or lowercase? (was: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 22:21:42 +0800

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

>> I just tried with clean Emacs:
>>
>> #+beg<complete -> #+begin_<complete> -> list of completions, all in lower
>> case
>> #+BEG<complete -> #+BEGIN_<complete> -> list of completions, all in upper
>> case
>
> Perhaps at some point the upper case should just be removed?

I am not sure if it is a good idea from backward compatibility point of
view. On the other hand, we managed to change the property drawer
default position. So, I do not see why it is impossible if most users
prefer lower case.

> This raises a related question I've wondered about:
>
> Why doesn't the completion insert the full begin/end, and put point inside?
>
> It's a bit of an awkward UX to add the end line ATM.

Adding full begin/end may not be good idea for completion-at-point:
1. It becomes awkward i.e. to insert the source block language and
   arguments (#+begin_src my-super-cool-programming-language :var x=1)
2. completion-at-point usually does not behave in such way.

Note that Org mode provides org-tempo doing exactly what you describe.

Best,
Ihor