Re: Lisp error: (void-function org-element-keyword-parser)

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: Lisp error: (void-function org-element-keyword-parser)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:00:08 -0400

> On Thursday, 21 Oct 2021 at 20:54, William Denton wrote:
>> With my usual set up, I can get things working except that any Org files
>> initially loaded up aren't recognized as Org, but if I run =M-x org-mode= it
>> all
>> kicks in.
>
> For the record, I have had this or something very similar for a very
> long time (years) now.  All my org-agenda-files which get loaded during
> my initialization, when I set up the appointment handling, are in org
> mode but none of the in-file settings have been applied.  I brought this
> up on the list a long time ago and was told that this was the expected
> behaviour.
>
> Are you sure they are not recognised as org files or is it that your
> specific settings are ignored?

Hi Eric,

I'm pretty sure that that should *NOT* be the case: setting the mode
on the file consists of calling `org-mode'; that calls
`org-set-regexps-and-options' which loops over all the in-buffer
options and sets them.

When you do `C-c C-c' on an in-buffer option after the initialization,
that calls `org-mode-restart' which calls `org-mode' which calls
`org-set-regexps-and-options'.

So the only time an in-buffer setting would not be recognized is
after you've added it to the buffer and before you've restarted Org mode
on it (or closed and reopened which does pretty much the same thing).
If you have unrecognized settings when you open a file and the file is
already in Org mode, that needs to be investigated: it's very much
*un*expected AFAICT.

I haven't gone back to find the previous discussion, but if you can find
it, you might want to resurrect it.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation,
naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler