SHIFT-TAB not working in Windows-SSH-shell or Debian-tty (sometimes "M-[

From: c.buhtz
Subject: SHIFT-TAB not working in Windows-SSH-shell or Debian-tty (sometimes "M-[ ~ is undefined")
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 15:25:12 +0000

Hello together.

# Introduction

I am quite new to emacs and building my init.el based the "Emacs from
Scratch" (by System Crafter) videos. In org-mode I experience some wired
behavior of the SHIFT-TAB key when (un)folding headings in an
.org file.

# Problem

In some cases SHIFT-TAB creates a M-[ ~ is undefined message or simply
does not work without an error message.

# System

Debian 11
GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24,
cairo version 1.16.0) of 2021-03-28, modified by Debian

# Minimal init.el

This can be used for reproduction.

;; === Package setup ===
(require 'package)
(setq package-archives '(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/";)
                         ("org" . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/";)
                         ("elpa" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)))
(package-initialize)

;; === use-package ==
;; use-package to simplify the config file
(unless (package-installed-p 'use-package)
  (package-refresh-contents)
  (package-install 'use-package))

(require 'use-package)
(setq use-package-always-ensure 't)

(use-package org)

# Description of the behavior in multiple cases

## Windows SSH-terminal

Form a Windows 10 client and its usual command prompt (not PowerShell,
not Terminal.app) I log into my machine via SSH and (of course) use
emacs in none-gui mode then. TAB works. But SHIFT-TAB produce the M-[ ~
is undefined error.

## A tty terminal (Debian 11)

Here TAB works. But S-TAB does not. The latter does not produce any
error message. There is simply no reaction on that button.

## Cases in where it is NOT reproducable

 - Gui mode in XFCE session on Debian 11
 - Terminal emulator (terminator) in a XFCE session on Debian 11
 - SSH terminal from Debian 11

## Sidenotes

There is a stackoverflow QA for this:
https://stackoverflow.com/q/3518846 The solution there does not work
for me (Emacs from Debian 11).

This problem is totally out of my scope of understanding.

Thanks in advance