Re: Introducing Org-transclusion

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: Introducing Org-transclusion
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 07:20:59 +0800

Hi Tim,

> WRT making this part of org-mode core, I’m not in favour. This is no
> reflection on the package, which I think is a great addition to the org
> ecosystem. My preference would be for this package to be an add-on
> package in either ELPA or non-GNU ELPA.
>
> My main reason for this is because I think we should be striving to make
> the core org packages as small and easily maintained as possible,
> containing the core functionality used by everyone. While this package
> has some very useful functionality, I feel it is functionality which
> will be used by a subset of users or by others only occasionally.
>
> If, at a later date, it turns out a majority of users use this package,
> we can review and if necessary/appropriate, bring the package into org core
> (assuming copyright is handed over to FSF).

Reading your thoughts on this package, I find myself of a similar mind. I think
org-transclusion is great, but it may be a bit hasty to add it as a “core” Org
feature at this stage. If it looks like a good idea later and/or we end up
developing an Org spec with a small core and tiers of features, I could see this
being included alongside less-essential features like `#+plot'.

All the best,
Timothy