Re: after installing python3.6 on Ubuntu 16.04, org files open with erro

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: after installing python3.6 on Ubuntu 16.04, org files open with errors
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 05:39:45 +1100

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> [[S/MIME Signed Part:Undecided]]
>
>> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>

>> The whole transition from v2.x to v3.x for python has been a terrible
>> mess. Version issues are the most frustrating aspect of Python and one
>> reason I've never embraced the language.
>
>> Given that Ubuntu 16.04 was end of life in April 2021, my recommendation
>> would be to upgrade to ubuntu 21.04. That version seems to have a more
>> consistent Python environment (based on v3). It also has newer ciaro,
>> hafbuzz and other libs used by Emacs which will likely work better and
>> once Emacs 28.0 is released, will have the gccjit libs necessary for
>> native comp etc.
>
> Well in that case I'd rather would prefer 20.04 a LTS release. From
> experience I know it will take me days till everything is working again,
> but maybe it is time to do that step.

I would check what the status was with Python in 20.04. I'm not sure
they had completed the migration to v3 at that point and it was still a
mixed v2/v3 setup. Pretty sure by 21.04 it was all v3.

While I do find upgrades to a new version can be very disruptive if it
is left for a few versions, updates to the next version has been
minimally disruptive for me. I guess a lot depends on how much 'extra'
stuff you install and what tweaks you do, but for the last few years,
I've found the upgrades quite painless. A lot depends on what changes -
for example, I expect the update to 22.04 or maybe 22.10 will be more
disruptive due to the move to pipewire for sound.

One thing I do find useful is to upgrade a virtual first. I use
virt-manager to create a virtual machine running my current version and
then upgrade that to see how the upgrade goes. In fact, I tend to
maintain a VM which is the same as my current version and whenever I
need to make some potentially disruptive upgrades or configuration
changes - such as updating org to a new version or try out the latest
Emacs, I do that on the virtual machine first. This way, I don't
interfere with my core system and configuration and have time to
investigate any issues before doing the same on my core system.