Re: c47b535bb origin/main org-element: Remove dependency on ‘org-emphasi

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: c47b535bb origin/main org-element: Remove dependency on ‘org-emphasis-regexp-components’
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 23:20:30 +0800

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This commit may cause random failures when
>> org-emphasis-regexp-components is changed by user.
>
> This is not supported anyway.

Yeah. Though I have seen people changing this variable.
Maybe we should change defvar to defconst?

>> org-emph-re is calculated according to org-emphasis-regexp-components.
>> Changing org-emphasis-regexp-components can make "(when (looking-at
>> org-emph-re)" in parsers return nil. The emphasised text will still be
>> fontified, but not available in the parsed buffer.
>
> That’s exactly my point. The syntax is not meant to be configurable.
> I wrote a patch also removing ‘org-emph-re’ depedency from
> "org-element.el", but I was delayed. I just applied it.

Thanks!

>> Maybe we need to move the logic for org-emph-re from org.el to
>> org-element.el?
>
> ‘org-emph-re’ has some limitations which do not belong to syntax
> definition. There’s no point in adding it in "org-element.el".
>
> The grand scheme is to remove most "org.el" dependencies from
> "org-element.el", and move the others.

That would be great. I was thinking about unifying the grammar better.
Things like org-set-regexps-and-options define part of the grammar
non-transparently outside org-element. As a result, the new org-persist
library can be potentially broken if the user changes grammar between
Emacs session (e.g. org-off-levels-only, org-todo-keywords, etc). Keeping
all the variables that change the grammar in one place would be helpful.

Maybe we could save the complete grammar state right inside output of
org-element-parse-buffer. In the updated element cache code, I
introduced properties into org-data element. Maybe we can keep all the
important variables for the buffer grammar in org-data? That way, the
job of org-set-regexps-and-options will be done by
org-element-org-data-parser. Moreover, users exporting using ox-org will
be able to create self-sufficient Org files that can be shared without
relying on the same configuration in init.el.

>> Also, there is org-emphasis-alist. It is even defcustom, but ignored by
>> org-element.el.
>
> This variable is a defcustom for the faces, not the markers. I.e., it is
> not meant to add, remove, or change emphasis markup, but rather alter
> how they appear. IMO, this should be removed altogether: it’s up to
> a theme to set such a thing.

Unless I miss something, org-emphasis-alist is used in org-emphasise.
Though it just another reason to remove it.

Best,
Ihor