Re: Bug: org-no-popups disregards display-buffer-fallback-action 9.4.6

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Bug: org-no-popups disregards display-buffer-fallback-action 9.4.6
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 21:49:53 +0700

On 15/11/2021 14:49, Jan Seeger wrote:
On 13.11.21 14:15, Max Nikulin wrote:

My thought is that I have a perfectly good window manager that allows me to manage Emacs frames. ... Thus, I prefer to have my window manager manage Emacs frames, instead of adding yet another way to switch between multiple things being displayed at the same time, which I would have to do using Emacs windows.

My current configuration is as follows:

(setq display-buffer-base-action '((display-buffer-reuse-window
display-buffer-pop-up-frame)
                                    (reusable-frames . 0)))
(setq display-buffer-alist
       `(("\\*Packages\\*" display-buffer-pop-up-frame)
         ("\\*stdin.*\\*" display-buffer-same-window)
         ("\\*Help\\*" display-buffer-pop-up-frame)
         ("\\*.*\\*" display-buffer-pop-up-window)))

Thank you for sharing this. I have tried such setup. Behavior of Org windows is terrible. "Standard" Emacs windows may be a bit strange sometimes, but it is not really annoying.

If there is a *Help* buffer on the screen, another one is created if help is called from some other buffer. Content of help frames is synchronized. I suppose, second help frame on the same screen may be avoided by adjusting configuration. (Side note: sometimes I do not mind to have several help buffers showing different content, so I do not like current limitation of help facilities.)

Frame may be split into halves by e.g. debugger window, C-h e, etc. It does not matter whether it is full-screen or half-screen frame (OK, in first case it split by vertical line, in second one by horizontal). Next similar buffer is opened in new frame. I would expect that either always new frame is created or decision depends on window size, not on number of windows (1 or 2) in the frame.

I have tried your suggestion

(defmacro org-no-popups (&rest body)
  "Suppress popup windows and evaluate BODY."
  `(let ((display-buffer-overriding-action '(display-buffer-pop-up-window)))
     ,@body))

It requires more work. C-c C-j org-goto is obviously broken with your config due to recent changes. It fixes only first step of org-capture (template selection) is fixed, window with buffer for capture is created in the current frame, but new clone of frame is created.

I am still in doubts whether `display-buffer-overriding-action' or ACTION argument of `display-buffer' should be used.

Actually I think that even org-capture should have two different options: with new frame or withing existing frame. Maybe I will explain it in detail in other part of this thread is response to Eric's message.