Re: "Orgdown", the new name for the syntax of Org-mode

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: "Orgdown", the new name for the syntax of Org-mode
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:18:37 +0000

Marcin Borkowski writes:

> Quite the contrary.  The amount of confusion between TeX (engine)/TeX
> (language)/TeX (distro)/TeX-aware text editor/LaTeX (whatever) among
> novice/casual users has always been terrible.

It's natural when those novice/casual users approach something that is
new to them, but nothing invincible when they want to learn. The "TeX"
ecosystem is not trivial, but I think that all, or almost all of us,
understand each other when things like 'TeX/LaTeX code', 'TeX engine',
'LaTeX format', etc. are said. If the TeX language were somewhat
self-contained and widely used outside of TeX, I would see OK that the
language had its own name. But, since the TeX language is something that
almost only TeX understands (roughly said), I think the economy wins
here (IMHO). I don't see how we could improve everything by having half
a dozen more exotic names.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel