Re: Re-installing org-mode packages due to annoying message

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: Re-installing org-mode packages due to annoying message
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 05:36:57 -1000

Aloha Alan,

Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@gmail.com> writes:

It is interesting that an old timer like yourself would reach for Spacemacs. I haven't, mostly because I don't think I need the modal model of Vi. The keybindings of Emacs or so convenient and intelligent I find them to be enough. Here's where I might have spent more time in the early days learning the basics better. One of the things I like about Emacs is that I can dance around a page of text, in a manner that the commercially produced text editors and word processors I know have not dared to implement. We are locked in to a dumbed down interface in all the software we encounter. I cannot think of one example just now, but maybe the way one can move back and forth over characters and words. I never learned Vi,
except to be able to edit a simple config file if need be.

I know I am over my head, and I have been so for the 30-ish years I have been using Emacs and for the time I have used Org-mode. It is more than I can do to keep up with the newer complexities that are cropping up. Yet,
just like the plain text files, and the LaTeX source for my one
publication, a lexicon of animal names, they live on while documents using the high priced tools are not longer readable or editable. And through all the changes, my little utilities for editing things that only I could probably care about, and I would not expect anyone to care to learn---they
still work today.  I love it!

FYI, from another old-timer in over his head, Spacemacs has a simple option to
enable Emacs key bindings.  You don't need to use the modal bindings.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye