Re: [BUG] C-c C-* causes "org-element--cache: Unregistered buffer modifi

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [BUG] C-c C-* causes "org-element--cache: Unregistered buffer modifications detected."
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 18:59:17 +0700

On 21/11/2021 15:35, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

C-\ russian-computer RET
C-*

Latin "A" to type Cyrillic "Ф"

Apparently, C-* on
Ф Put cursor on this line and hit =C-c C-*= to make it a heading
and just
are producing different buffer-chars-modified-tick/buffer-modified-tick
signatures. I have added this kind of edit and the one from your other
report [1] to the exception list. The commit is 28d47cfb8 (main).

Ihor, thank you for your work related to such issues. I had a hope to thank you for the fix, but I faced a warning again in a bit modified scenario. This time it is soft indent mode.

---- >8 ----
#+startup: indent
Do not forget to activate settings above by =C-c C-c=

* H
Try =C-c C-*= on this line
---- 8< ----

Warning (org-element-cache): org-element--cache: Unregistered buffer modifications detected. Resetting. If this warning appears regularly, please report it to Org mode mailing list (M-x org-submit-bug-report).
The buffer is: new.org
 Current command: (nil 312 320)
 Chars modified: 312
 Buffer modified: 320
 Backtrace:
nil

First letter of new heading must be a capital one, though it can be Latin. Converting top-level "H" heading by C-c C-* does not cause such warning.

Given the growing number of such "special" cases, I also changed to code
to reset cache all the time but for "self-insert-command" in
russian-computer. Just to be safe. The warning will not be shown though.

[1] https://orgmode.org/list/sn5uaa$ehd$1@ciao.gmane.io

I am not an active user of main branch (I was merely hunting for another bug), so I can not estimate performance penalty for large files due to continuous cache resetting. I do not follow emacs-devel mail list last weeks. Have you managed to negotiate with Eli concerning changes required in Emacs code? I mean some followups of

#51766 29.0.50; Return value of buffer-chars-modified-tick changes when buffer text is not yet changed before inserting a character for non-latin input methods