Re: Formal syntax for org-cite

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Formal syntax for org-cite
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 14:16:34 +0100

Hello,

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Looking at https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html, there isn't,

Yup, I forgot to update it.

> I have not yet confirmed what =KEYPREFIX= and =KEYSUFFIX= may contain,
> but as a starting point, any of the characters allowed in =KEY= except
> =@= plus whitespace would seem fairly safe. =KEYSUFFIX= must start with
> a whitespace character to be able to be differentiated from =KEY=.

KEYPREFIX may not contain a semicolon nor any combination forming a key
(at-sign followed by a word character or some symbols). Square brackets
are allowed only if they form a symmetric pair. Any other character is
allowed.

KEYSUFFIX has the same restrictions, minus the limitation about the key.

> =CITESTYLE= consists of a main =STYLE= and any number of =VARIANT=​s
> (including zero), prefixed by forwards slashes in the following pattern
>
> #+begin_example
> /STYLE/VARIANT/VARIANT/VARIANT
> #+end_example

Nope. This is only /STYLE/VARIANT, however VARIANT can contain "/" character.

> =STYLE= and =VARIANT= can be made of any alphanumeric character, =_=, or =-=.
>
> =GLOBALPREFIX= and =GLOBALSUFFIX= can contain the same characters as
> =KEYPREFIX= and =KEYSUFFIX=, however =GLOBALPREFIX= must end with a
> semicolon, and =GLOBALSUFFIX= must start with a semicolon.

Note the semicolons do not belong to affixes.

> "cite" and =CITESTYLE=, =KEYCITES= and =GLOBALSUFFIX= are /not/
> separated by whitespace. Neither are =KEYPREFIX=, =@KEY=, or =KEYSUFFIX=
> separated by whitespace.

Addendum: whitespaces are not significant after the leading colon, and
before the closing square bracket. They are significant in any other
case.

HTH,

Regards,
--