Re: frustrations

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: frustrations
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 10:52:42 -0500

Hi Jan,

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 7:58 AM Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
On Wednesday,  1 Dec 2021 at 13:21, Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:
> How do you configure your emacs using current versions like org 9.5 but
> at the same time avoiding problems with incompatible packages or newly
> introduced bugs?

Avoiding problems with incompatible packages or new bugs is impossible,
however.  The solution is to avoid upgrade-itis and only upgrade when
necessary.  Although I track org from git, I don't update all the time
and only do so when I know I will have some time to deal with any
repercussions.  (like today where I upgraded both Emacs and org because
I know I have no immediate deadlines)

Most other packages, I seldom upgrade if ever.

I just wanted to quickly second this. The old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." is evergreen.

The other thing I'll say though is that so long as you use the `~/.emacs.d` or `~/.config/emacs` it's very easy to place the entirety of your emacs config under source control. The key thing to do here is to _check in_ your package dependencies (`elpa` directory in my case). That way whenever you upgrade a package it's very easy to revert to a known working state if you don't have time to work through the incompatibilities.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

https://blog.twonegatives.com