Re: Orgdown: negative feedback & attempt of a root-cause analysis

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Orgdown: negative feedback & attempt of a root-cause analysis
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 12:44:45 +1100

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've summarized my current state of mind about the whole Orgdown
> fiasco into a blog article:
> https://karl-voit.at/2021/12/02/Orgdown-feedback/
>
> Don't worry, I tried to analyze my own faults as well so that others
> might be able to learn from this unfortunate situation.

Hi Karl,

thanks for writing up your experiences. I'm not surprised about the
reaction you got from reddit. I gave up on reddit some time back due to
the toxic nature of too many threads. I don't know why it is so often
toxic, but it really isn't worth the hassle.

Starting up a project is difficult. I have an open source JS library
which has turned out to be far more popular than I expected (averages
over 150k downloads each week). I'm not sure I was ready for the
commitment maintaining such a project involves - especially the long
term nature of it. At times, I ahve had problems with rather 'entitled'
users who demand ridiculous things from a free bit of software and who
can become extremely rude and somewhat nasty when I don't do what they
want. I've learnt to just ignore them.

The best advice I can give is to suggest you just put the whole thing on
the back burner for a month or so and then come back to it. During that
time, other comments are bound to come through and I find the later
comments are often far more considered and less emotional than initial
to process everything and will likely provide additional clarity once it
has had time to percolate.