Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 00:05:33 +0100

Hello,

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> I agree that zero width spaces work fine as a solution, but I think they
> should not be understood as part of the syntax but as a punctual
> (temporal?) remedy to certain scenarios. As mentioned before, in LaTeX
> zero width spaces can produce unexpected effects and modify the final
> form of the text (at least in luatex). I also don't know if it would be
> useful to remove all zero width spaces in the export process, because in
> some cases the user may want to keep them, as I think Maxim commented in
> a previous message.

We may be misunderstanding each other.

I'm suggesting to remove zero-width spaces contiguous to emphasis
markers only. Therefore LaTeX process would npot see them. Other zero
width spaces, e.g., inserted by user, are kept. AFAICT, the two last
points you mention are not relevant with my proposal.

Besides, they already part of the syntax, in some way. So that ship has
sailed long ago.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou