Re: On zero width spaces and Org syntax

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: On zero width spaces and Org syntax
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 22:03:25 +0300

Juan Manuel,

> however, I find it problematic that this character is part, more or
> less de facto, of the Org syntax. For two main reasons:

in fact, i am always queasy when i enter ZWNBSP in a .org (or any other)
file.  some sort of "visible" sequence would be great.  backwards
compatibility might be a problem.

your last example

: [''*literature*'']

seems a bit of sleight-of-hand, though.  iiuc, text inside square
brackets isn't highlighted currently, and ZWNBSP doesn't (afaict) turn
on highlighting.  (maybe there's been recent discussion, modifications
of this?)

i.e., if the goal is to *expand* the realm of highlighting, might that
not be a separate issue?

cheers, Greg