Re: Some commentary on the Org Syntax document

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: Some commentary on the Org Syntax document
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 14:48:37 +0800

Hi Ihor,

Because your reply is shorter, you get my first response šŸ˜›.

>> [Renaming parts of the Hierarchy]
> I am against renaming this. We should rather improve the syntax document
> keeping the key concepts consistent with Elisp code.

This is certainly something to be conservative about, but I think some small
tweaks could be beneficial. See my comment below.

> Org parser distinguish two principal types of syntax structures:
> 1. Elements
> 2. Objects
>
> Neither elements nor objects can intersect their boundaries, but they
> can be nested.
>
> An object is always a part of some element or other object.
> Greater element can contain other elements and objects.
> Element that is not greater element can only contain objects.

A thought has just occurred to me, how about instead of having
ā€œelementsā€ which are split into ā€œGreater Elementsā€ and other ā€œElementsā€, what if
we simply added the prefix ā€œlesserā€ to the later?

I.e. go from

āƒ Elements
  ā€¢ Greater Elements
  ā€¢ (other) Elements

āƒ Elements
  ā€¢ Greater Elements
  ā€¢ Lesser Elements

I think having something explicit like this could reduce the chance of
confusion.

> [Comments on headings and sections]

This accords with my reading of the document and the way Iā€™ve implemented things
in OrgMode.jl (see
<https://github.com/tecosaur/OrgMode.jl/blob/main/src/types/sections.jl>).

All the best,
Timothy