Re: Org Mode "Contribute", "Maintenance" pages don't give repository.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Org Mode "Contribute", "Maintenance" pages don't give repository.
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 15:50:05 -0600

On 04 Dec 2021, Daniel Fleischer wrote:
The "Contribute" page at https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html does not mention git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/org-mode.git . Actually, now that I look around, the "Maintenance" page at https://orgmode.org/worg/org-maintenance.html doesn't mention the repository address either. It does mention the word
"repository" a few times, but never actually links to it.

I've added a link to the org-maintenance page but there was a link in the org-contribute, in the "Your first commit as an Org maintainer" section. The git.sv.gnu.org is a shorthand for git.savannah.gnu.org.

Thanks for reporting this,

Thanks, Daniel!

You're right about repository link on the Contribute page. It might still be good to mention it earlier, like in the "Ways that involve programming" section or even just in the first paragraph of the page.

The reason I suggest this is that often when someone is hot on the trail of debugging something, they haven't yet decided whether they want to become a contributor or not. They just know they want to ook at the latest sources so they can first figure out more about whatever ${technical_thing} they encountered. So making the latest sources very easy to find is a way of making it more likely that someone becomes a contributor, by removing a commonly-encountered barrier.

Best regards,
-Karl