Re: Concrete suggestions to improve Org mode third-party integration ::

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Concrete suggestions to improve Org mode third-party integration :: an afterthought following Karl Voit's Orgdown proposal
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 18:24:01 +0800

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> I am not at all in favor of separating the 'Org Mode' name from 'GNU
> Emacs'.

To clarify, I do not suggest to remove the linkage between Org mode and
GNU Emacs. Just change the emphasis. I had no intention to remove the
reference to Emacs from search result. It should be still there in the
short description of orgmode.org. See the second part of my suggestion
#1.

> 1. "Org mode: your life in plain text". The word "mode" remains orphan:
> mode of what? It is clear that it is an Emacs mode, therefore it doesn't
> make much sense to hide Emacs and then suggest it.
>
> 2. One possibility: "Org: your life in plain text". But here what
> remains orphaned is "Org", too generic name. Unless "Org Mode" is a
> lexicalized construct, without reference to any emacs mode.

I view "Org Mode" as a "brand name". Something uniquely identifying Org
mode and serving as a search term.

> (In any case, I would be extremely saddened if the reference to GNU Emacs
> disappears in the title, just to please a minority).

Is it your principal position about the title specifically? Do you think
that just referring to Emacs in the website description is not
sufficient?

Note that my suggestion #1 has nothing to do with actual orgmode.org
front page. Just about how it appears in search results.

Best,
Ihor