bug#52341: Fwd: 29.0.50; org-priority 'SPC to remove' doesn't work

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: bug#52341: Fwd: 29.0.50; org-priority 'SPC to remove' doesn't work
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 20:58:52 -0500

Robert Pluim writes:

>     Kyle> Right, this stems from org-priority feeding " " to string-to-number
> and
>     Kyle> ending up with 0 instead of the ?\s (32) that's used downstream to
>     Kyle> signal "remove".  The problem goes back to when support for numeric
>     Kyle> priorities was added in Org v9.4's 4f98694bf (Allow numeric values
> for
>     Kyle> priorities, 2020-01-30).
>
>     Kyle> I suppose one solution would be to check for " " and translate that
>     Kyle> the ?\s so that the remove is triggered.  I'll plan to apply the
> change
>     Kyle> below to Org's bugfix branch in a day or two unless the author of
> the
>     Kyle> above commit (+cc) or someone else has another suggestion.
>
> That fixes part of the issue, but still when using numeric priorities,
> removal will be 'SPC RET' rather than 'SPC'.

If someone 1) uses numeric priorities and 2) has org-priority-lowest
above 9, read-string is used to prompt with "Priority M-N, SPC to
remove: ".  They need to use 'SPC RET' just as they need to use, say, '3
RET'.  That is, it's consistent with the prompt behavior for entering
the actual priorities.

Perhaps that should change in some way (though I'm not planning on
working on it myself), but in my view that behavior shouldn't be
conflated with SPC not being translated to "remove the priority".