[BUG] Inconsistent behaviour of TODO + COMMENT + TODO dependencies + age

From: Ignacio Casso
Subject: [BUG] Inconsistent behaviour of TODO + COMMENT + TODO dependencies + agenda? [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/ignacio/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.5/)]
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 13:19:28 +0100

Hello,

I'm not sure what is the expected behaviour of the COMMENT keyword for
TODOs and the agenda, since I only found it in the "Exporting" section
of the manual, but I find the following behaviour inconsistent:

- Tasks with a COMMENT keyword or under a heading with a COMMENT keyword
  do not appear in the agenda. I'm not sure if this is a feature or just
  happens because there is a step involving exporting when the agenda is
  constructed, but it seems reasonable to me and I use the COMMENT
  keyword for this sometimes.

- Tasks with a COMMENT keyword or under a heading with a COMMENT keyword
  DO matter when computing dependencies between tasks, when
  org-enforce-todo-dependencies is 't' or there is a 'ORDERED'
  property.

These two points seem inconsistent to me, since the first leads me to
believe that tasks under commented subtrees are as if they did not
exist, but in the second we see that's not true. Am I interpreting the
COMMENT keyword wrong?

Best regards,

Ignacio

P.D: Just when I was going to send this I tried to investigate it a
little bit more to not waste anyone's time, and I found the variable
'org-agenda-skip-comment-trees', which defaults to 't'. So now I see that
if it is set to 'nil' it would not be inconsistent to me anymore, but I
still think that the default behaviour is inconsistent, or at least
unintituive for newcomers, and that maybe a corresponding variable like
'org-dependencies-skip-comment-trees' might be needed.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.14)
 of 2020-03-26, modified by Debian
Package: Org mode version 9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @
/home/ignacio/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.5/)