Re: [BUG] org-element--cache gives "Unregistered buffer modifications" w

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-element--cache gives "Unregistered buffer modifications" warning [9.5 (9.5-g859984 @ /home/john/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 12:35:51 +0800

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> I actually run a wrapper script to update Org and that has all that:
> I verified that at least the git hash was latest as of then:
> release_9.5-364-g*de022e*

Odd. Though the commit number is indeed correct.

> There's a setup included in there; I forgot about that. If you don't mind
> trying it again, this would download everything needed:

Thanks! I was able to follow your steps this time.

> Sorry, but I am getting similar backtrace in another function now:

Sigh... Should be fixed now. I did not expect that arguments to cache
functions could ever be markers.

After the fix, I was able to see the warning you were talking about in
the earlier email. Your test case revealed an important omission in the
cache logic when a huge number of edits are stacked together into
asynchronous cache queue. Thanks you for providing the excellent
reproducer!

On latest main, your example file is exported without any warnings.

Also, I noticed that the large number of edits makes the cache use a lot
of memory adding load onto the Emacs garbage collector. May I know what
exactly ox-hugo does that triggers that many edits? Exporting your
example files took approximately 30sec on my system (both with and
without cache). I believe that the speed can be improved if cache is
used more optimally.

> *Another observation: *
>
> I see this warning when building from the latest main:
>
> In org-element--cache-sync:
> org-element.el:5935:19: Warning: assignment to free variable
>     ‘org-element--cache-change-warning’

Thanks! Fixed.

Best,
Ihor