Re: [BUG] Underlined text in parentheses is not exported correctly

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Underlined text in parentheses is not exported correctly
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 19:13:51 +0800

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> I don't know if this is a known issue...
>
> Consider the text:
>
> (_underline_)

I am not sure if  it is an actual issue.

Note that (_u can be interpreted as a subscript.
Org prioritises subscript over underline.

Looking at the code:

(?_ (or (and (memq 'subscript restriction)
           (org-element-subscript-parser))
      (and (memq 'underline restriction)
           (org-element-underline-parser))))

The priority appears to be intentional.

Unless Nicolas (the author of this code) sees anything wrong here, I
recommend you to use zero-width space in front of the first _ to make
sure that you obtain underline, not subscripts (see
https://orgmode.org/manual/Escape-Character.html#Escape-Character)

P.S.
Note that the fontification you observe in Org is wrong. It is not how
the actual exporter sees the text. I am sorry about this. Fixing the
fontification is a work-in-progress.

Best,
Ihor