Re: Question Regarding Creating Workflow For Automatic Formulas For Fina

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Question Regarding Creating Workflow For Automatic Formulas For Finance Based Org Spreadsheet
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:31:51 +0000

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 03:42, Samuel Banya <sbanya@fastmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, Ledger is way too complicated for what it's worth. I've seen videos on
> YouTube about it, and every person who's praised it is pretty much too smart
> enough to be able to explain it in simple terms.

I have similar observations.  I don't (so far) see that Ledger (or
alternatives) offers enough added value to be worth incorporating in
my workflow, compared to directly processing the raw data.

The value that would be of interest to me is:
- Classifying/grouping transactions at analysis time (not entry time)
according to a set of rules/regexps etc.
- Drawing insights by analysing past expenditure, with that kind of
classification.
- Using such insights as part of future budgeting.
- An overall functional approach, where the raw data is never changed,
and the other inputs to an analysis can be tweaked on each run.

I wish plaintextaccounting.org had a forum/ML for discussing this kind
of thing, as it isn't specific to any of ledger/hledger/beancount in
particular.

Best wishes,
    Neil