Strange bug with text scaling and variable-pitch

From: Andrew Hyatt
Subject: Strange bug with text scaling and variable-pitch
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 21:51:36 -0500

Hi all,

I've been having an odd problem where if I try to change my text scale on my org capture buffers, the scale keeps increasing, and increases the scale on the parent of the indirect org-capture buffer, on each capture.

I'm using org-mode 9.5, emacs 29.0.50.

Debugging into the issue, I realized I can only reproduce this if the org-mode buffer has variable-pitch-mode on.

Here's a short repro that works on emacs -Q (of course, you may want to change the path):

(require 'face-remap) (defun ash/big-font () "Creates a font that is big enough for about 20 lines of text." (interactive) (let ((text-scale-mode-amount (/ (frame-height) 20))) (text-scale-mode 1))) (require 'org-capture) (add-hook 'org-capture-mode-hook #'ash/big-font) (setq org-capture-templates '(("c" "Capture" entry (file "~/Desktop/test.org") nil))) (find-file "~/Desktop/test.org") (variable-pitch-mode 1) After evaluating this, every time you call org-capture, the text size will increase, until the text size is so large emacs crashes!

I have also tried to reproduce this without org-mode, just using indirect buffers, but can't do it. Something that org-mode is doing is causing this, but org-capture is complicated enough that I can't really see what it could be. I can and will continue looking into this, but I'm curious if anyone might have a clue as to what is going wrong here.