Re: Depreciating TeX-style LaTeX fragments (was: Org Syntax Specificatio

From: Sébastien Miquel
Subject: Re: Depreciating TeX-style LaTeX fragments (was: Org Syntax Specification)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 08:08:11 +0000

Hi,

With respect to readability, I only mean to point out that the $…$
syntax is one less character, and that the \(\) characters are quite
overloaded.

this is a good opportunity to point out that $/$$ are very much second class citizens in LaTeX now, no matter what you may see in old documents.

The posts that you quote are 10 years old. As per [0] (2020), there
will be no LaTeX3. Nor is it only old documents that use the $…$
syntax : looking for learning ressources (see [1]), everything that I
find uses it. That includes The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX [2]
(2021) and https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Mathematics.

Although I have no evidence of this, my expectation is that the
majority of tex users use the $…$ syntax (it is in fact widely used
outside of tex: in most markdown flavors and texmacs for example). I
also expect that a significant proportion of tex users are not aware
of the \(…\) syntax. I think here of users that are less tech literate
than most of this mailing list.

Regards,

[0]: https://www.latex-project.org/publications/2020-FMi-TUB-tb128mitt-quovadis.pdf [1]: https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/11/what-are-good-learning-resources-for-a-latex-beginner
[2]: https://ctan.tetaneutral.net/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf