Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 21:52:17 +0700

On 05/12/2021 04:48, Tom Gillespie wrote:
Since org is a valid export backend though, perhaps this behaviour should be
reserved for @@:…@@, i.e. no export backend, which I think semantically fits
fairly nicely.

What this means is that @@:...@@ syntax is not actually used
in Org at all at the moment and renders as plain text. I agree that
we need to avoid @@org:..@@ because it has legitimate uses.
Making a back-end of empty string valid for parse separately
syntax thus makes @@ syntax more regular overall, and allows
@@:...@@ to be processed separately because it currently
never enters the export snippet processing.

It seems that @@:...@@ should behave significantly different from regular export snippet since org markup should be parsed inside.

It could be used for one more purpose. I miss "fallback" option for export snippets. E.g. if explicit raw markup is specified for HTML and LaTeX, it would be nice to have something for other backends such as ascii or odt. In the series of adjacent export snippets @@:...@@ may be taken when backends in earlier snippets are not matched:

@@html:HTML 1@@@@latex:LaTeX 1@@@@:ascii and odt 1@@@@html: HTML 2@@@@:LaTeX, ascii, and odt 2@@.

At first I complained that it would be impossible to put export snippets in "parse separately" construct with @@:...@@ syntax. Likely it is not necessary. It is a bit verbose, but "parse separately" may be split:
   @@:part 1@@@@html:html-only@@@@:@@@@:part 2@@
Empty @@:@@ is added to avoid considering @@:part 2@@ as a fallback for "html-only".