Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 11:13:23 +0800

> It could be used for one more purpose. I miss "fallback" option for
> export snippets. E.g. if explicit raw markup is specified for HTML and
> LaTeX, it would be nice to have something for other backends such as
> ascii or odt. In the series of adjacent export snippets @@:...@@ may be
> taken when backends in earlier snippets are not matched:

This reminds me about our #+begin_export export blocks and #+begin_*
special blocks. We can think of @@backend:...@@ snippets as inline
equivalent of export blocks. Special blocks do not have inline
equivalent (except maybe links abused for export by some people).

Keeping in mind the above analogy, note that export blocks do not have
fallbacks, while special blocks do (for example, see
https://github.com/alhassy/org-special-block-extras/).

Maybe we should introduce an equivalent of special blocks, but for
inline use? Or should we modify _both_ inline export snippets and export
blocks to allow fallback mechanism?

Best,
Ihor