Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 13:05:13 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> Maybe we should introduce an equivalent of special blocks, but for
> inline use? Or should we modify _both_ inline export snippets and export
> blocks to allow fallback mechanism?

I find the idea of inline special blocks very interesting, but I think
there are a couple of drawbacks: since special blocks support ATTR_X,
how would that be implemented in the inline version? The most obvious
thing I can think of is to mimic inline code blocks:

my_special_block[attributes list]{content}

But it would produce a result many times too verbose. Another risk that
this would entail, IMHO, is that of the "LaTeXification" of Org...

In any case, for things like that, aren't links and macros enough? I'm
one of those who 'abuse' links for many export scenarios (I even have
written this package:
https://gitlab.com/maciaschain/org-critical-edition), and I think links
have enormous potential and versatility. John Kitchin's blog has really
helped me open my mind and explore that very productive Org component.
Macros are also a very powerful tool, except for the comma issue, which
I think is still an unfinished business and a solution should be found
one day. Still, the possibility of a special inline block is very
interesting to me.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel