Problem with org-babel and geiser

From: Bob Heffernan
Subject: Problem with org-babel and geiser
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 17:01:22 +0000

Dear all,

I am having trouble with evaluating scheme source-blocks in org-mode.
Specifically, in a minimal example such as this:

#+title: Test
#+PROPERTY: header-args :session *scheme*

#+begin_src scheme
  (+ 1 1)
#+end_src

When I evaluate the src block, the results come back empty.

The *geiser-messages* buffer has this:
WARNING: File /home/bob/.chez-geiser does not exist, so it's not added to CLI
args

INFO: REQUEST: <1>: (begin (import (geiser)) (write `((result ) (output . "")))
(newline))

INFO: RETORT: ((result) (output . ""))

INFO: <1>: processed

ERROR: <2>: continuation failed "(geiser:eval '#f '(begin ;; -*-
geiser-scheme-implementation: chez -*-
(+ 1 1)
))"
        (error Selecting deleted buffer)

In an effort to make sure it's not something funny in my config, I reduced my
init.el to the following:

(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
  '("nongnu" . "https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/";))
(package-initialize)

(require 'geiser)
(require 'geiser-chez)
(setq geiser-chez-binary "chez")
(org-babel-do-load-languages
 'org-babel-load-languages
 '((scheme . t)))

but the problem persists.

I happen to be using chez scheme, but the same issue arises with other
implementations (I tried guile, chicken and racket).  On the other hand,
evaluating an elisp block works fine.

This might be a geiser problem, rather than an org problem, but geiser appears
to be working fine otherwise.

I'm running Emacs 27.2 on Arch Linux with Org 9.4.4.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bob Heffernan