Re: Suggestion: convert dispatchers to use transient

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Suggestion: convert dispatchers to use transient
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 08:30:23 +1100

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2/3/2022 2:07 AM, Tim Cross wrote:
>> After 28.0 is released, if transient is a GNU ELPA package, we can
>> probably just make it an org dependency and Emacs 26.x and 27.x should
>> be able to install and run it (would need to be verified).
>
> The transient package is on GNU ELPA already[1], and based on its package
> metadata[2], supports Emacs 25.1+, so I don't think there should be any
> compatibility concerns (at least not with the availability of transient; maybe
> there are other reasons that dispatchers shouldn't change without an option to
> go back).
>
> - Jim
>
> [1] https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/transient.html
> [2]
> https://github.com/magit/transient/blob/440a341831398b825dc2288a10821cf7be1999ca/lisp/transient.el#L9

That is good to know. I knew it was getting added, but wasn't sure how
compatible it would be with older versions.

Not 100% sure about best migration strategy. On one level, providing the
ability for users to choose which interface sounds nice, but on the
other, a main goal is to simplify code and reduce maintenance. Providing
a choice will actually complicate matters and increase maintenance.

Is the transient.el included in Emacs 28 the same as the one on GNU
ELPA? I'm assuming it is, but I have to admit I'm still not 100% clear
on how Emacs handles the situation where you use a library that is both
built-in and available in ELPA. Does Emacs use the latest version
available or does it use the built-in version until you explicitly
select the ELPA versions?