Re: Unable to get current or via use-package

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Unable to get current or via use-package
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 05:39:11 +1100

> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Is that necessary?  Can't I just use the package manager to update Org
>>> along with any other packages?  Or does the issue about not visiting and
>>> .org file before installing via the package manager apply to updates
>>> too?
>>>

>> Even with updates, it is still important that no existing org
>> functionality has been loaded to avoid potential inconsistencies due to
>> mixed version installation. For updates within the same version (i.e.
>> bug fix updates), the risk is low, but may still result in an
>> inconsistent build.
>
> It looks like there was an attempt to fix mixed compilation issue in
> package.el See
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=c13baa10d55ec863d3ceaea48c6b2959ece98198
> and https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10125
>
> If I understand that thread correctly, package.el should not have issues
> with mixed compilation. Not so sure about straight.el and certainly it
> will not solve the problem when part of built-in Org is loaded before
> the newer Org version is added to the load-path.

Thanks for the info. However, I'm not confident that has addressed the
full issue. I note that patch is from 2014. There has certainly been a
number of people report mixed installation problems since that patch
would have been applied and part of their current version of package.el.
As you point out, we don't know what happens with other package managers
like straight.el and you are likely to get this issue if part of the
built-in version has been loaded before package.el attempts to load the
new version, so that might explain these later reports.

Would seem the best approach and simplest solution is still to ensure no
org functionality has been loaded before attempting an update.