Inserting links stored in `org-store-link-plist`

From: Alejandro Pérez Carballo
Subject: Inserting links stored in `org-store-link-plist`
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 15:26:14 -0800

Hello,

After storing a link to an ID using `org-id-store-link` I would've expected the
stored link to be made available when calling `org-insert-link`, much like when
storing a link using `org-store-link. But that's not what I see: the link
stored with `org-id-store-link` is added to `org-store-link-plist` but not to
`org-stored-links`.

To my surprise (and this may not be related, but in case it is), the value of
`org-store-link-plist` is set to `nil` if I call `org-store-link`. Somehow
calling `org-store-link` results in both the value of the stored link being
sent to `org-stored-links` *and* in the value of `org-store-link-plist`, but
calling `org-id-store-link` results in the stored link being sent to
`org-store-link-plist` without touching the value of `org-stored-links`.

I'm assuming this is not the expected behavior, but if it is, I'd appreciate
any suggestions for how to use the values of `org-store-link-plist` when
calling `org-insert-link`.

I'm seeing this both with 9.5.2 and 9.5.1.

Thanks in advance for any help,

APC